About This Recipe:
Even though there are endless Italian pasta options to choose from, I always end up ordering the same few dishes again and again. And this orecchiette with broccoli rabe and sausage dish is at the very top of my favorites list.
It is incredibly easy to make, and a complete meal because you have your carbs, vegetable, and meat all in one. I make it a bit lighter by using a mix of yummy sweet or spicy Italian sausage and lean ground pork, and adding in extra broccoli rabe. This recipe honestly tastes as good as if you were to order it at a great Italian restaurant. It’s hard to stop after just one bowl of this, so make extra!
Ingredients (4 servings)
-2 cups orecchiette pasta
-2 bunches broccoli rabe, trimmed
-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
-1/2 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
-1/2 lb lean ground pork
-1 lemon, juiced
-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
-3 tbls Italian style breadcrumbs
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (25 minutes)
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the orecchiette pasta (usually about 10 minutes.) Before the pasta is done, add the broccoli rabe and cook with the orecchiette for 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. In a large skillet over medium high heat, pour in 1 tbl of olive oil. Cook the garlic for 1 minute.
3. Add the Italian sausage and ground pork, and cook through for 8-10 minutes. Break up the sausage into small bits.
4. Toss the pasta and broccoli rabe into the skillet with the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Stir in the lemon juice and pepper flakes, and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top.