About This Recipe:
Pasta alla Norma is one of my favorite go to’s for when I am craving pasta at home. It is very simple to make, and only really requires 3 ingredients- eggplant, pasta, and tomato sauce. However, I love adding in the roasted tomatoes for extra sweetness, as well as fresh basil, and of course lots of garlic and Parmesan cheese.
This is a super healthy, fresh, and light Italian meal. You could make it lower carb by increasing your vegetable to pasta ratio, or make it vegan by omitting the Parmesan cheese. If you are struggling to find 45 minutes to make dinner, you could speed up the process by cooking the eggplant and tomatoes on the stovetop, but I much prefer the taste of the roasted vegetables.
Ingredients (6 servings)
-1 large eggplant, diced (1 inch cubes)
-10 oz cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
-1 lb rigatoni pasta
-6 garlic cloves, finely minced
-28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
-1/4 cup basil, finely julienned
-2 tsps dried parsley
-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (45 minutes)
1. Place the eggplant and cherry tomatoes on a well oiled lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, and bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
2. In a large pot, boil water and cook the rigatoni (usually about 10 minutes.) Drain the pasta in a colander and set aside.
3. Using the same pot over medium heat, pour in 1 tbl of olive oil and cook the minced garlic for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add in the crushed tomatoes, basil, parsley, and pepper flakes, and heat through for a few minutes.
5. Stir in the roasted eggplant and tomatoes once they are done, and add the rigatoni back in.
6. Serve and garnish with more basil and Parmesan shavings.