About This Recipe:
Even though I love Mexican food, I don’t often find myself eating at Mexican restaurants or ordering Mexican take out. But last week I randomly kept on thinking about chicken fajitas, so I had to try making them at home.
I thought about cooking the ingredients on the stovetop, but then realized it could all easily be done on one sheet pan in the oven. It takes a bit more time, but I think it is so much easier. These fajitas are very lean- just baked chicken and vegetables surrounded by some nice carbs, and are fun to assemble and eat!
Ingredients (4 servings)
-2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
-1 large yellow onion, sliced
-1 lb chicken breasts
-10 oz mushrooms, sliced
-5 limes: 3 juiced, 2 sliced in wedges
-1 cup brown or wild rice
-1 sliced avocado
-Salt and pepper
-3 tsps chili powder
-3 tsps cumin
-1 tsp garlic powder
Instructions (1 hour)
1. Place the sliced bell peppers and onions on a well oiled lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the juice of 2 limes, 2 tsps of chili powder and cumin, and salt and pepper. Marinade the chicken breasts in the refrigerator while the vegetables bake.
3. Cook the rice according to the package instructions. When it is done, mix in the juice of 1 lime, and 1 tsp of chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder.
4. Once the vegetables have been in the oven for 25 minutes, add the chicken and mushrooms on top and bake for another 25 minutes at 425 degrees F.
5. Slice the chicken into strips and assemble your fajitas on tortillas with rice, avocado, salsa, etc.