About This Recipe:
What is there really to say about penne alla vodka? It’s insanely decadent and delicious, a fan favorite, and very easy to make. All of the ingredients are super common Italian supermarket finds, but I think that fresh basil and a bit of red pepper flakes really take this recipe to a whole new level.
This is the perfect dish to make for a group of friends because I have yet to find someone who does not like penne alla vodka. It also reheats pretty well so you can make it ahead of time (just cook the pasta super al dente so it does not become mushy later,) and it is vegetarian friendly. Just pair it with some roasted vegetables or a side salad, and you are set for dinner!
Ingredients (6 servings)
-1 lb penne
-1 yellow onion, finely chopped
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-1/2 cup vodka
-28 oz crushed tomatoes
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-1 tsp dried oregano
-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
-1/4 cup grated Parmesan
-1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (45 minutes)
1. In a large pot, boil water and cook the penne (about 10 minutes.) Then drain well and set aside.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, pour in 1 tbl of olive oil and sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Then add in the garlic and cook for another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the vodka and simmer on low heat for about 7 minutes until most of the vodka has reduced.
4. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, and seasonings and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Toss in the cooked penne and combine with the Parmesan and basil.