About This Recipe:
It’s official- Fall is here! And with Fall comes all of the lovely Fall essentials such as pumpkins, apple spice, etc. My favorite Fall vegetable is roasted butternut squash, and so I wanted to incorporate it into a warm, hearty, vegan meal. And the first thing that popped into my head was an autumnal roasted butternut squash risotto. It’s filling, healthy, and requires only a few, simple ingredients.
Risotto is a little high maintenance to prepare because you have to constantly stir it and slowly add in the liquids, but it is actually very simple. I just put on a good podcast or playlist, and watch the risotto transform into a thick and creamy concoction. This dish would also be great with sautéed mushrooms, or a mix of roasted vegetables such as brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, or carrots.
Ingredients (4 servings)
-1 small butternut squash, diced into 1 inch cubes
-1 tsp dried thyme
-2 shallots, finely chopped
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1 cup risotto
-1/2 cup white wine
-2- 2.5 cups vegetable stock
-1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (1 hour)
1. Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and the thyme. Roast at 425 degrees for 40 minutes.
2. While the squash is roasting, pour 1-2 tbls of olive oil into a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the shallots for 5 minutes, then add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add in the risotto and toast for 2 minutes. Pour in the white wine and cook for 2-3 minutes until it is fully absorbed.
4. Pour in the vegetable stock in 1/2 cup increments. Wait until the liquid is fully absorbed before adding in the next 1/2 cup.
5. Continue the process until the rice is fully cooked and it is at the consistency that you want. It should take about 30 minutes and require 2 to 2.5 cups of vegetable stock.
6. Stir in the parsley and red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Add in the roasted butternut squash and serve!