About This Recipe:
Minestrone soup is the perfect thing to make a huge batch of when you’re feeling under the weather, or want to feel warm and cozy. Even though it is vegan, it is very hearty, flavorful, and filling. The ingredient list may look long, but they are hopefully all things that you already have in your kitchen, or you can narrow down the vegetables that you do want to include. This soup takes a bit of time to simmer and put together, but it is super simple and well worth the hour that you will spend!
Ingredients (4- 6 servings)
-1 yellow onion, finely diced
-2 carrots, peeled and finely diced (about 1 cup)
-4 celery stalks, finely chopped (about 1.5 cups)
-1 zucchini, diced
-1 yellow squash, diced
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-3 tbls tomato paste
-14 oz crushed tomatoes
-4 cups vegetable broth
-1 cup water
-1/2 tsp oregano
-1/2 tsp thyme
-1 cup mini shell pasta
-2 cups baby kale
-7 oz white beans
-3 tbls fresh basil
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (1 hour)
1. In a large pot over medium heat, pour in 2-3 tbls of olive oil. Sauté the onion, carrots, and celery for 8-10 minutes until they are super tender.
2. Add in the zucchini and squash and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the minced garlic and tomato paste until well combined.
4. Pour in the liquids- the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer covered over low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle in the oregano and thyme, and add in the pasta. Continue simmering for another 10 minutes until the pasta is al dente.
6. Add in the kale and let it wilt for a few minutes. Then stir in the beans to heat through and garnish with the fresh basil.