About This Recipe:
Set your timers because today we have an incredible 20 minute recipe. You will need a food processor for this pesto, and I recently purchased my very first one so I was really excited to use it! This is a simple and classic pesto sauce with just 5 ingredients, and it is so delicious that you will never buy a jarred pesto sauce again. I think that the cherry tomatoes add a really nice, sweet flavor to the dish, and a beautiful pop of color. I wanted to switch it up and use the lesser known gemelli pasta for this, but really any shape or strand would do. I’m already dreaming about eating these leftovers tomorrow.
Ingredients (4 servings)
-1 lb (16 oz) gemelli pasta
-1 pint (about 12 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
-1/2 cup reserved pasta water
-Salt and pepper
-1/3 cup pine nuts
-2 garlic cloves
-1/2 cup grated parmesan
-4 cups (about 2.5 oz) fresh basil
-1/2 cup olive oil
Instructions (20 minutes)
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta until it is al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water before you drain and set aside.
2. In a skillet over low heat, toast the pine nuts for about 3 minutes.
3. In a food processor, add in the garlic and finely mince. Then add in the toasted pine nuts and pulse until they are very finely ground. Then add in the parmesan and grind until it is fully incorporated with the pine nuts. Lastly, add in the basil and olive oil and blend until a thick sauce consistency has formed.
4. In a skillet over medium high heat, pour in one tbl of olive oil and sauté the cherry tomatoes for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Toss together the pasta, pesto, and tomatoes, and some of the pasta water if you want a saucier consistency.