About This Recipe:
Chicken pot pie is an American classic that I have actually only had via Marie Callender’s frozen pot pie meal. It’s always been on my list of things to try making from scratch, and this cold NYC weekend was the perfect occasion to experiment. When I say from scratch I mean with a pre-made, frozen pie crust because to be honest my studio apartment’s kitchen barely has the countertop space to roll out dough! Of course I also had to make this a little bit healthier by cutting back on the butter and cream, but trust me this filling is still THICC. Semi guilt free chicken pot pie? Baiii Marie Callender.
Ingredients (4 servings)
-1.25 lbs chicken breasts
-2 tbls butter
-1/2 onion, diced
-2 carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
-⅓ cup flour
-1.5 cups chicken stock
-1/4 cup heavy cream
-1 cup peas
-1 tsp dried thyme
-1/4 cup parsley, chopped
-1 pre-made pie crust
-1 egg white, beaten
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (1 hour 15 minutes)
1. In a baking dish, coat the chicken breasts in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes at 400 degrees F. Let the chicken cool and then dice into small pieces.
2. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the diced onions and carrots for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a low boil for a minute.
4. Stir in the heavy cream, peas, thyme, and parsley, and add in the diced chicken.
5. Pour the filling into a 9 inch pie pan. Cover with the pie crust and cut slits on the top. Brush the top of the pie with the egg white wash and bake at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes.