About This Recipe:
If you have a nicely stocked pantry, you probably already have most of the ingredients for this delicious Mexican chicken tortilla soup. This is a great pantry soup because it contains common ingredients such as canned crushed tomatoes, beans, corns, and chicken stock. I like this soup to have a bit of heat, so I add in a whole jalapeño as well as chili powder and cayenne pepper. And of course you can’t have a soup like this without tons of toppings- I love limes, avocado, sour cream, and cheddar cheese, and plenty of cilantro in the soup and on top. I chose to bake my tortilla strips because it’s easier and healthier, but feel free to jazz this up however you want!
Ingredients (6 servings)
-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
-1 onion, chopped
-1 jalapeño, deseeded finely diced
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp chili powder
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
-28 oz crushed tomatoes
-6 cups chicken broth
-14 oz black beans, rinsed
-14 oz corn kernels
-1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
-2 limes (1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges for serving)
-2 tortillas, cut into thin strips
-Toppings: 1 sliced avocado, sour cream, cheddar cheese
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (1 hour)
1. Place the chicken breasts on a baking dish and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes until fully cooked. Let the chicken cool and then shred.
2. While the chicken roasts, move on to the rest of the soup. In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, pour in 2 tbls of olive oil and sauté the onion and jalapeño for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper, and stir for 2 minutes.
3. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Add in the black beans and corn and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
4. Coat the tortilla strips in olive oil and salt, and bake at 400 degrees F for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
5. Add the shredded chicken to the soup. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice, and serve topped with the avocado, sour cream, and tortilla strips.