About This Recipe:
What is there really to say about penne alla vodka? It’s insanely decadent and delicious, a fan favorite, and very easy to make. This is the perfect dish to make for a group of friends because I have yet to find someone who does not like penne alla vodka. It also reheats pretty well so you can make it ahead of time (just cook the pasta super al dente so it does not become mushy later,) and it is vegetarian friendly. Just pair it with some roasted vegetables or a side salad, and you are set for dinner!
Ingredients (6 servings)
-1 lb penne
-1 small onion, finely diced
-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
-1/2 cup tomato paste
-1 tsp dried oregano
-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
-1/4 cup vodka
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-1/2 cup grated Parmesan
-1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (30 minutes)
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, pour in 2 tbls of olive oil and cook the onions for 5 minutes until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Then stir in the tomato paste, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and let concentrate on low heat for 5 minutes.
3. While the sauce cooks, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Once done, reserve 2 cups of starchy pasta water and set aside.
4. Incorporate the vodka with the tomato paste mixture, and simmer for a few minutes until most of the vodka has reduced.
5. Stir in the heavy cream, Parmesan, and 1 cup of the reserved pasta water. Fold in the penne, and add in more pasta water 1 tbl at a time if needed. Garnish with the fresh basil and serve.