About This Recipe:
I absolutely love crab cakes, but they’re not that common at restaurants, and my local supermarket does not sell fresh crab meat. So, I figured I would try making crab cakes out of salmon, and they were amazing! This is a fun, new way to eat salmon, and this recipe is also pretty healthy. The pickle-y and brine-y tartar sauce pairs perfectly with the salmon cakes, and of course, I must have tons of lemon on the side. You can serve these with a salad, or sides such as potatoes and asparagus for a full meal.
Ingredients (4 servings)
-1 lb salmon
-1/2 small onion, finely diced
-2 celery stalks, finely diced
-1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
-1/4 cup parsley, chopped
-1 cup panko breadcrumbs
-2 tbls mayonnaise
-2 tsps dijon mustard
-1 lemon, cut into wedges for serving
-Salt and pepper
-1 cup Greek yogurt
-1/4 cup chopped pickles
-1 tbl capers
-1/2 lemon, juiced
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (45 minutes)
1. Place the salmon in a baking dish and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 425 degrees F for 12- 15 minutes until fully cooked (depending on thickness.) Let cool then flake apart with a fork.
2. In a skillet, cook the onion, celery, and bell pepper for about 6 minutes until softened. Let cool then add to a bowl and mix with the parsley, panko breadcrumbs, eggs, mayonnaise, and dijon.
3. Combine the mixture with the flaked salmon and form into 8-10 patties. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Use a skillet over medium high heat and pour in a few tbls of olive oil. Cook each patty for 4 minutes per side until golden brown.
5. Mix together the tartar sauce ingredients and serve with the salmon cakes.