About This Recipe:
Chinese cashew chicken is basically a simple chicken and vegetable stir fry, but with roasted cashews on top. It’s super simple to make at home, and the marinade/sauce is a very typical base for many Chinese sauces. Most restaurants use chicken breast in these types of dishes, but I find chicken thighs more forgiving to use since they don’t dry out as easily. Serve this with a bowl of white rice, and you’re good to go for dinner!
Ingredients (4 servings)
-1.25 lbs chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
-1/2 small onion, finely diced
-1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
-1/2 cup roasted cashews
-Scallions for garnishing
-2 tbls soy sauce
-2 tbls oyster sauce
-1 tbl rice wine vinegar
-1 tbl cornstarch
-2 tsps white sugar
-1 tsp sesame oil
-1/2 cup water
Instructions (30 minutes)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients. Marinade the chicken in 1/3 of the sauce while you cook the vegetables.
2. In a wok or large pan over medium high heat, pour in 2 tbls of vegetable oil and sauté the onion and peppers for 5 minutes to soften. Then stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add in the broccoli florets and 1/3 of the sauce. Cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and then add the chicken to the other side. Brown for 3 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 3 minutes.
5. Add in the last 1/3 of the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes to fully cook the ingredients and thicken the sauce. Top with cashews and scallions.