About This Recipe:
White chicken chili is the lower profile cousin of turkey chili. However, it is just as equally, if not more delicious than turkey chili (not that it’s a competition.) This is a super simple recipe with mostly pantry and frozen staples, and it is the perfect cozy meal on a cold night. I love how the mashed cannellini beans naturally thicken the chili, so you only need a bit of heavy cream to make it extra rich. And for me, chili is all about the toppings so I have to have avocado, chips, and shredded cheese on top.
Ingredients (4 servings)
-1 lb chicken breasts
-1 medium onion, finely diced
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-6 cups chicken stock
-4 oz canned diced green chilies
-20 oz cannellini beans
-1 cup frozen corn
-1/4 cup heavy cream
-1/2 lime, juiced
-2 tbls cilantro for garnishing
–Optional toppings: avocado, tortilla chips, shredded white cheddar cheese
-Salt and pepper
-1 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp paprika
-1/2 tsp dried oregano
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Instructions (1 hour)
1. Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes or until fully cooked. Cool and then dice into small pieces.
2. In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, pour in 2 tbls of olive oil and sauté the onion for 5 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add in the garlic and all of the seasonings (cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper) and cook for 1 minute.
3. Pour in the chicken stock and green chilies, and bring the mixture to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes covered.
4. In a bowl, finely mash half of the cannellini beans to form a thick paste. Whisk the paste into the soup to thicken it. Add in the rest of the beans and frozen corn, and simmer for another 15 minutes uncovered.
5. Stir in the roasted diced chicken, heavy cream, and lime juice, and top with the cilantro and additional toppings.