About This Recipe:
Having a bad day? We’ve all been there, but what you need are these insanely easy and delicious smothered pork chops. These pork chops on top of a mountain of creamy mashed potatoes are Southern comfort food at its finest. All it takes is a few everyday ingredients, and 30 minutes max to make this dish. You can use either buttermilk, heavy cream, or regular milk in the gravy- just use whatever you have. I like extraaa sauce to coat my mashed potatoes with, so this recipe makes quite a bit of gravy.
Ingredients (4 servings)
-4 bone in pork chops (about 1.5 inches thick)
-1/2 cup flour + 1 tbl
-1 large onion, sliced
-2 cups chicken stock
-1/4 cup buttermilk (or heavy cream/milk)
-1/4 cup parsley, chopped
–Optional side: mashed potatoes
-Salt and pepper
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1 tsp onion powder
-1/2 tsp dried thyme
-1/2 tsp dried oregano
Instructions (30 minutes)
1. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper, and lightly dredge each one in the flour.
2. In a pan over medium high heat, pour in 2 tbls of vegetable oil and brown the pork chops for 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a dish.
3. Add the onions to the pan and cook until softened (5 minutes.) Then stir in the seasonings for 1 minute.
4. Pour in the chicken broth, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the tbl of flour and bring the mixture to a boil. Then simmer on low heat for 5 minutes to thicken.
5. Mix in the buttermilk and add the pork chops back into the pan. Simmer for another 5 minutes until the pork chops are fully cooked. Serve over mashed potatoes.