About This Recipe:
Chicken parmesan is one of my favorite indulgent meals. An extra large, super thin cut piece of breaded chicken that is deep fried, and then covered in sauce and cheese… yum… These chicken parmesan meatballs have all of the same elements and flavors, but are a bit healthier and easier to make. The panko coating on the meatballs give them a super golden, crispy exterior, even though they are not fried. You can serve these meatballs with spaghetti, bread, or even as an appetizer.
Ingredients (4 servings)
-1 lb ground chicken
-1/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
-1/4 cup grated Parmesan
-1 tsp dried basil
-1/2 tsp dried oregano
-1/2 tsp dried garlic
-1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
-12 oz marinara sauce
-4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
-Fresh basil, for garnishing
-Salt & pepper
Instructions (45 minutes)
1. In a large bowl, mix the ground chicken with the rest of the meatball ingredients (the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, egg, and seasonings,) and season with salt and pepper.
2. Form approximately 14 evenly sized meatballs from the mixture. Then in a small bowl, pour in the panko breadcrumbs and roll each meatball to fully coat.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, pour in 2 tbls of olive oil and brown the meatballs for 4 minutes (turning every few minutes,) until all sides are golden brown.
4. Pour the marinara sauce into an oven safe dish, and add in the meatballs and mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until the meatballs are fully cooked, and the cheese has melted.
5. Top with the basil, and serve with bread or pasta.