About This Recipe:
Chicken pot pie is an American classic that I have actually only had via Marie Callender’s frozen pot pie meal. It’s always been on my list of things to try making from scratch, and this cold NYC weekend was the perfect occasion to experiment. When I say from scratch I mean with a pre-made, frozen pie crust because to be honest it’s good enough! Of course I also had to make this a little bit healthier by cutting back on the butter and cream, but trust me this filling is still THICC. Semi guilt free chicken pot pie? Baiii Marie Callender.
Ingredients (6 servings)
-1.25 lbs chicken breasts
-2 tbls butter
-1 small onion, diced
-2 carrots, diced (about 1.5 cups)
-1/3 cup flour
-2 cups chicken stock
-1/4 cup heavy cream
-1 cup peas
-1/2 tsp dried thyme
-1/4 cup parsley, chopped
-1 pre-made pie crust
-1 egg white, beaten
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (1 hour)
1. In a baking dish, coat the chicken breasts in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked. Let cool and then dice into small, bite sized pieces.
2. While the chicken roasts, in a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the diced onions and carrots for 7 minutes until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 2-3 minutes to cook off. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a low boil.
4. Stir in the heavy cream, peas, thyme, and parsley, and add in the diced chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
5. Pour the filling into a 9 inch pie pan. Cover with the pie crust and cut slits on the top to vent. Brush the top of the pie crust with the egg white wash and bake at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes to set and then serve.
One thought on “Homemade Chicken Pot Pie”