About This Recipe:
Stuffed cabbage is not something that you see everyday, nor is it actually that easy to make. However, it is super delicious, can be made quite healthily, and could be a fun Sunday afternoon activity. This recipe is not hard, but it requires multiple steps and takes over an hour to slowly bake in the oven. Stuffed cabbage is very similar to stuffed peppers because both are filled with ground meat and rice, and slowly baked. The next time you are in a cooking rut, test out this stuffed cabbage recipe.
Ingredients (4 servings)
-1 large head of green cabbage (about 12 cabbage leaves)
-1/2 cup sour cream for topping
–1 onion, finely diced
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-2 tbls tomato paste
-28 oz crushed tomatoes
-1 tsp dried oregano
-1 tsp white sugar
-Salt and pepper
-1 lb ground turkey
-3/4 cup cooked white rice
-1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
-1/4 cup parsley, chopped
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (2 hours 15 minutes)
1. Tomato sauce: In a pot over medium heat, pour in 2 tbls of olive oil and sauté the onion for 5 minutes until softened. Then add in the garlic and sauté for another minute. Stir in the tomato paste and concentrate for about 3 minutes, then mix in the crushed tomatoes, oregano, and sugar, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer covered on low heat for 20 minutes.
2. Cabbage: While the sauce simmers, in a large pot, bring water to a boil and blanch the cabbage leaves for 3-4 minutes until tender and pliable. You may have to do this in multiple batches. Drain the leaves and set aside to cool. Once cooled, use a knife to remove the tough bottom stem in the middle of each leaf, keeping the leaf intact.
3. Filling: In a large bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients- the ground turkey, cooked rice, breadcrumbs, egg, and parsley. Then mix in 1 cup of the finished sauce.
4. Take a cabbage leaf and fill it with 1/3 cup of the filling. Roll the cabbage tightly like a burrito, and continue until you use up all of the filling.
5. Ladle 1 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of a large baking dish. Then place the filled cabbage leaves on top, and pour over the rest of the sauce. Bake covered at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 30 minutes.