About This Recipe:
I have ordered these spicy tuna crispy rice cakes at multiple Asian restaurants over the past few years, and I finally decided to make them at home. Even though they are the trendiest dish in the sushi world these days, they are super easy to make. The hardest part about this recipe is finding sushi grade tuna because most supermarkets do not carry sushi grade, and you definitely don’t want to eat regular tuna raw. The tuna mixture can be easily customized based on how creamy/spicy/salty you want it to be, and of course the crispy rice sets this dish apart from all other sushi. This is an impressive appetizer or entree for your next dinner party!
Ingredients (8 large pieces)
-1.5 cups cooked sushi rice (or any short grain white rice)
-1 tbl rice wine vinegar
-Sesame seeds for garnishing
–Optional: Sliced avocado
-4-6 oz sushi grade tuna, diced
-1.5 tbls mayonnaise
-1 tsp soy sauce
-1 tsp sesame oil
-1 tsp Sriracha
-1 scallion, finely chopped
Instructions (45 mins)
1. In a large bowl, mix the cooked rice and the vinegar. Spray a square pan with oil and scoop in the rice. Flatten the rice so that it is 3/4 inch thick. Place in the freezer for at least 5 minutes to cool and solidify. This will help the rice cakes keep their shape while cooking.
2. In another bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the tuna mixture. Taste and adjust for your preferred level of seasoning.
3. Once the rice has set, cut the rice into rectangles that are about 1 inch wide and 2 inches long.
4. In a skillet over medium high heat, pour in a few tbls of vegetable oil and fry the rice cakes for about 4 minutes per side. They should be golden brown and crunchy on the outside.
5. Top the finished rice cakes with the tuna mixture. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with sliced avocado and soy sauce.
One thought on “Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice Cakes”
Looks so delicious 😋