About This Recipe:
I know this can be controversial, but I LOVE peas and think that they deserve to be the stars for once. This super simple pea “pesto” sauce is the perfect recipe for my fellow pea lovers. Not only is this pasta sauce easy as can be, but it is super light and healthy, and can be made vegan if you omit the Parmesan. You can serve this warm, at room temperature, or chilled for a pasta salad vibe. You could also add in some basil and pinenuts for a more pesto like recipe, but it’s also delicious as is.
Ingredients (4 servings)
-1 lb cavatappi pasta
-10 oz frozen peas
-1 small onion, diced
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-1 lemon, juiced
-1 cup starchy pasta water
-1/2 cup grated Parmesan
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (30 minutes)
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Before draining, reserve 1 cup of the starchy pasta water and set aside.
2. In another small pot, bring water to a boil and cook the frozen peas as instructed, then drain.
3. While the pasta and peas cook, heat up a small pan over medium heat with 1-2 tbls of olive oil, and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
4. In a food processor, add in 3/4 of the cooked peas, the onion & garlic, lemon juice, reserved pasta water, and grated Parmesan. Blend until a thick sauce forms, and season liberally with salt and pepper.
5. Toss the pasta with the pea sauce and remaining peas. Top with additional parmesan if desired.