About This Recipe:
Spring is in the air, and with that comes plenty of new spring recipes such as this delicious shrimp orzo. It’s a super simple one pot recipe that requires just a few ingredients, and is pretty light and healthy. I love orzo, and wanted to incorporate some of my favorite spring vegetables- peas and artichokes. If you’re not a fan of those, asparagus and zucchini would also be great in this dish. All this orzo needs is a hefty squeeze of lemon juice, a boat load of garlic, and a light dusting of parmesan.
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
-1 lb large shrimp
-2 tbls butter
-6 garlic cloves, minced
-1 lb orzo
-4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
-1 cup frozen peas
-14 oz canned artichoke hearts, quartered
-2 lemons, juiced
-¼ cup parsley, chopped
-Grated parmesan, for serving
-Salt and pepper
Instructions (40 minutes)
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, pour in 2 tbls of olive oil and cook the shrimp in a single layer for 2-3 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper, and then transfer to a dish.
2. Melt the butter and stir in the garlic and brown for 1 minute. Add in the orzo and lightly toast for 1-2 minutes.
3. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer the orzo on low heat for 15 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and stir frequently.
4. Season with salt and pepper, and add in the frozen peas, artichoke hearts, lemon juice, and parsley. Heat through for 5 minutes.
5. Return the shrimp to the pot and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.