About This Recipe:
This braised tofu soba salad is a light and refreshing vegan dish that is packed with flavor. The marinade/dressing is tangy, sweet, and spicy all in one. It provides tons of flavor to notoriously bland tofu, and I highly recommend doing a quick marinade so that it really soaks into the tofu. I also love the texture of the shaved cucumber & carrot ribbons, and they make for a beautiful presentation. You can enjoy this at room temperature or chilled- I prefer chilled noodles and warm tofu!
Ingredients (4 Servings)
-16 oz extra firm tofu, cut into large bite sized pieces
-12 oz soba noodles
-1 English cucumber
-2 large carrots
-Sesame seeds for garnishing
-1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-2 tbls sesame oil
-2 tbls white sugar
-2 tsps chili garlic paste
-1/2 cup water
Instructions (35 minutes)
1. Whisk together the marinade/dressing ingredients in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
2. In a shallow dish or container, marinade the tofu in half of the marinade/dressing for at least 10 minutes.
3. While the tofu is marinading, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the soba noodles. Once done, drain and rinse with cold water.
4. Use a vegetable peeler to make long noodle like ribbons with the cucumber and carrots.
5. Once the tofu is done marinading, add the tofu and the marinade into a large pan over medium heat. Braise for about 8 minutes until the tofu has browned and the marinade has reduced into a thick glaze.
6. Assemble the salad with the cooled soba noodles, cucumber & carrot ribbons, and tofu. Toss with the remaining half of the dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds.